Do you have your finger on the pulse of Vancouver’s arts and cultural scene?
Are you passionate about using innovative, buzz-worthy marketing initiatives to connect audiences with cutting-edge cultural events?
Would you love the opportunity to support a team of marketing and communications innovators to promote one of Vancouver’s signature summer events?
Then you should apply to join us as the Community Engagement Coordinator at the Vancouver Queer Film Festival.
About the Festival
The Vancouver Queer Film Festival (VQFF), produced by Out On Screen, is the city’s 2nd largest film festival. What began in 1988 as a small community film festival has evolved into a year-round, multi-faceted queer arts organization. Our vision: to celebrate queer lives through film, education and dialogue.
Our team is passionate about making a difference in our communities and it is evident in our culture and values. We are a progressive employer offering competitive compensation packages and a supportive and flexible work environment. Along with the unique opportunity to work for a queer organization!
About the Position
The Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for contributing to the OOS communications and VQFF marketing plan and implementing the plan’s social media, street level advertising, and other audience outreach initiatives.
- Implement marketing strategies as set out in VQFF Marketing Plan
- Lead street team marketing initiatives, including sidewalk chalking, poster distribution, postcards and window displays
- Support responsive VQFF social media strategies to engage diverse target audiences
- Support e-marketing initiatives, including VQFF website, e-blasts and iPhone app
- Coordinate promotions such as contests and ticket give-aways
- Work at VQFF tent at Sunset Beach during Pride
- Coordinate audience experience surveys
- Lead festival guide distribution
- Assist with sponsorship deliverables as needed
Festival responsibilities (in addition to ongoing responsibilities above):
- Assist with guest relations during Festival
- Cover shifts as Theatre Manager during screenings
- Set-up and teardown signage and marketing materials during the Festival
- Complete and document tasks in project management timelines in an accurate and timely manner
- Ensure budgets stay within allocated funds by keeping up-to-date detailed records of revenues and expenses
- Attend and provide status reports at staff meeting
- Post Festival, compile data for outgoing report including analysis of any surveys, website traffic and social media content
- Keep accurate and easily accessible records of all work in order to ensure organizational continuity
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Organized self-starter with an eye for detail
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, results-oriented work environment
- Currently pursuing a university degree (BC Arts Council co-op program requirement)
- Sense of humour a must
- Experience working with staff and community partners to promote film or live events
- Experience with street-level marketing
- Seasonal position with dates June 2 to September
- Full-time based on 37.5 hours per week
- Compensation of $14/hour
To apply: (Rolling application dates, apply early. Application closes May 1)
Submit a cover letter that includes:
- A description of your experience as it prepares you to promote the VQFF.
- A statement of interest that outlines your particular interest in working with the VQFF and as the Community Engagement Coordinator.
- Please highlight any experience you have with using databases and coordinating larger teams of people host exceptional events.
- Email cover letter and resume, in PDF or Word format, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please indicate in the subject line: “Community Engagement Coordinator - YOUR NAME”.
Out On Screen strives to offer meaningful employment from all communities and recognizes the value a diverse team brings to our work. First Nations, people of colour, transgender people and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
We thank all candidates for applying, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please look to our website for employment updates.