What began in 1989 as a small community film festival has evolved into a professional queer arts organization. Out On Screen is a registered charity with two core programs: the annual Vancouver Queer Film Festival and Out in Schools. Our vision: to celebrate queer lives through film, education and dialogue.
Our team is passionate about making a difference in our communities and it is evident in our culture and values. We are a progressive employer offering comprehensive salary packages that include extended health benefits, wellness and professional development funds and a supportive and flexible work environment. Along with the unique opportunity to work for a queer organization!
About the Position
The Director of Development leads the design, execution and evaluation of private sector fundraising, with a focus on Individual and Corporate giving. The successful incumbent will strategically engage fundraising volunteers and program staff alike. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the incumbent is an active participant in strategizing and crafting the organization's communications.
Reports directly to the Executive Director.
Reporting to the Director of Development are three staff members:
• Corporate Relations Officer
• Donor Services & Communications Coordinator, part-time
• Marketing Coordinator, seasonal contract
• Provides strategic leadership in the design, execution and evaluation of fundraising campaign plans and activities. Leads the development of the marketing and communications strategy for these campaigns and activities.
• Develops an annual operating budget for the development department and monitors budget expenditures.
• With the Executive Director, sets personal and overall revenue targets for the year.
• Works with the Board Development Chair, to engage Fund Development Committee and fundraising volunteers.
• Oversees eTapestry contacts and fundraising database.
• Serve as the key contact for our growing family of more than 400 donors.
• Lead major gift and stewardship campaigns, carrying your own portfolio of donors contributing gifts over $1,500.
• Develop and begin implementation of a planned giving program over the next two years.
• Lead and execute annual giving including, but not limited to: monthly giving, direct mail and electronic-based campaigns.
• Within annual giving, lead an active Festival Campaign that engages festival goers to become annual donors; executed via the following, but not limited to, group asks, donor videos and donor services table at film screenings.
• Plan, design and execute donor and friends events that are strategically positioned to raise funds effectively and efficiently.
• Develop and oversee cultivation and appreciation events.
• Ensure donor stewardship and recognition is implemented, including timely tax receipting.
• Provide oversight, coaching and support to Corporate giving campaigns.
• Steward relationships with Major Corporate Donors and Sponsors (value of $10,000+).
• Ensure appropriate acknowledgments and recognition including, but not limited to, site signage, logo exposure, etc.
• Ensure final reporting to Corporate Donors and Sponsors as appropriate.
• With input from the Fund Development Committee, develop the annual Fundraising Plan including campaign targets, objectives and measures.
• Create and regularly revise a critical path required to carry out the work and fulfill the milestones as set out in the annual Fundraising Plan.
• Keep current with all Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) regulations and requirements.
• Maintain membership to the Association of Fundraising Professionals, and remain current on ethical practices pertaining to fundraising.
• Provide advice and recommendations regarding the creation of new policies and procedures related to donor communications and stewardship activities.
• Work collaboratively with staff team to facilitate fund raising, communications, data capture and reporting.
• Prepare campaign reports, quarterly donor reports and other information requests.
• Attend and provide reports at Leadership meetings.
• Participate in annual strategic planning processes and attend up to two board meetings per year.
• Keep accurate and easily accessible records of all work in order to ensure organizational continuity.
• Other duties as required.
For the right candidate, there is a further opportunity to take the lead role on the organization's communications strategy.
• Develop, execute and evaluate a communications strategy for the organization.
• Enhance messaging at all levels of the organization keeping donors and the public informed, thanked and involved.
• In collaboration with the Director of Festival Programming, develop the festival marketing plan.
• Oversee execution and evaluation of the festival marketing plan.
• Min two years leading a fundraising team at an intermediate or senior level
• Effective collaborative leader
• Degree or Diploma in fundraising, or related field
• Demonstrated success raising upwards of $500,000 from diverse private sector resources
• Exceptional donor or customer-service skills
• Proficiency with eTapestry or similar donor-based database a must
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Tact, diplomacy, discretion essential
• Member in good standing of the Association of Fundraising Professionals
This is a year round position based on 37.5 hours per week.
• Start date April 21, 2014 or sooner
• Comprehensive salary package commensurate with experience, and including extended health benefits, AFP annual membership and professional development funds.
Email cover letter and resume, in either PDF or Word format, to email@example.com - this will be a rolling intake with a close date of March 23, 2014. Please indicate "Director of Development- YOUR NAME" in the subject line. Within your resume package, articulate your salary expectations and the size of gifts you have successfully raised.
Out On Screen strives for meaningful employment from all communities. First Nations, people of colour, transgender and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
We thank all candidates for applying, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.